Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Filigree Cross Sympathy Cards


a Cut at Home Design Team Project


Unfortunately at some time or another we are all in the need of a Sympathy card and using this Spellbinders Die D-Lites Filigree Cross die creates a beautiful card to fill the need.  The die is two pieces the outer, which cuts the aperture in the front of the cards and the filigree which creates the beautifully intricate filigrees when you use the two dies together.


I'm almost positive that the recipient of this card will love that I left the cross loose on the inside and made into a removable bookmark keepsake.  I layered not only the die cut but several layers behind for stability and then used several coats of Mod Podge front and back to give it a sturdy feel.  Using my Crop a Dile I punched a hole in the top and added fibers that complimented the colors of my decorative paper (which is from Prima's Fairy Rhymes Collection, Secret Garden).  

By using the cross this way it presented two problems, one when removed from the card the inside was pretty blank when you looked through the cross from the front.  To alleviate this I cut another cross (with the filigree in the middle) to use as a stencil and pounced my Tim Holtz Spun Sugar Distress Ink through it.  Pulling the ink from the cross outwards to the edges gave the cross a radiant look.   

The next problem was I didn't want to adhere the cross down but it wouldn't just stay put so when I adhered the inside sentiment (an old Stampin' Up Sympathy set) I glued a metal piece across the top and then glued all three sides down and across the top leaving only a small opening on the left to slip the bottom of the cross into and keep it in place.  


You can see it peeking at you in the photo above.


Here's a glimpse of the second card, you'll see it made start to finish on the video, but I wanted to give you a close up of how beautifully these dies cut and emboss!  Join me now on the video as I show you how I created the cards and give a few more photos for inspiration.

I think this card, with sentiments changed, would be a perfect Easter card for that special someone on your card giving list.



Supplies:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful card. Great idea to ink the impression under the bookmark.