Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Spellbinders In'Spire On The Road

a Cut at Home Design Team Project

For some time now I've had this darling little die in my collection, it's a trailer and from the moment I saw it it made me think of the old I Love Lucy days when Lucy and Desi went off down the road, calamities and pitfalls galore followed them. I had friends who recently went off on a Motor-home trip and I just had to make this little die up into a Travel card for them. You know the kind of smart-aleck card only one good friend can send another.  

The die is from Spellbinders In'spire collection called On The Road.  I think sometimes we often overlook the simple dies, like these, that are primarily one image and yet given a little boost they can really make your project pop. I was super happy when I flipped through my stamp catalog and found an old Stampin' Up set that had the truck in it.  It was the perfect size to accompany the trailer down the road (which is a paper strip from Tim Holtz Idea-ology collection Destination).


In this instance I cut the trailer out multiple times, I think I have 8 or 9 layers here stacked one on top of the other, it makes a thick, almost chipboard, piece once you are done and gives the die the added umph you need to make a statement.  I colored the pink in while the paper was still in the die using a Copic marker.  It's a simple process to outline and fill in the spots you'd like some color on using the die outline, then it's just a matter of popping it out and gluing them together.  Of course I used my new favorite tool, Spellbinders Tool 'n One to release the paper from the die.


The sign post was left over from my Hot Air Balloon project (from Sa Crafters Zibbet store).  There were two in the package and I thought this was just the punch the card needed.  I cut out words from the paper, mod podged them on and then inked with Tim Holtz Distress ink Gathered Twigs and Lindy's Starburst Mission Bells Brown.   


Really this is a pretty simple fast card with a big 'fun' factor enclosed.  I cut the postcard from the paper stash, some papers are also from Tim Holtz Wallflower collection.  I printed the sentiment on my computer, cut the words individually and glued to the post card.  I was lucky enough to find a free font to download from Google that was close to the old I Love Lucy fonts.  Just a perfect combination of things to bring a smile to my friends face when she opens the envelope don't you think?

Thanks so much for joining me, if you haven't become a follower to my blog I hope you'll do so today.  And, check out my video below, I'll show you how I put the card together, share a few tips and give you a few more photos to In'spire you to create your own popped up elements from Spellbinders In'spire collection.


Supplies:


1 comment:

Marie-Louise said...

Brilliant card Patti. Hope all is well with you.