Thursday, January 14, 2016

Making a Mini Together

a Cut at Home Design Team Project

Hello everyone, I have many viewers tell me over and over again that they love what I do but they can't do it themselves. I'm here today to tell you that anyone of you CAN make a mini especially with what I share with you today.

I'm using a new product from Heartfelt Creations called the 3D Flip Fold Album.  This is a pre-made base for your mini.  I think this is what intimidates a lot of you is creating your base with the spine and pages from scratch.  Well this is your solution everything is constructed for you, all you need to do is pretty it up!  And that's what I'm going to share with you today.

I'm going to marry Heartfelt Creations album with Graphic 45's new Children's Hour collection and share with you the first page I've done.  I want to inspire you to take a stab at this yourself if you've never done a mini.  Or if you're old hat try it anyway because there are always times when the benefit of having something pre-made out weighs the time of making it yourself.  So come join me.


Today I'm using primarily the two March papers from the Children's Hour Collection and some black cardstock.  As the mini progresses I will use from all three paper pad sizes (today I've used mostly the 12x12" pad) and the majority of the other products in the collection, stamps - stickers - tags and pockets.


On video I'm going to share how you can start with just a mat and add your photos or continue to step the basic page up to fancier with surprises galore.  I've precut everything so you can simply watch the thought process and see how I put it all together.  If I get a positive response to share the making of each of the rest of the pages I will turn this in to a series and share how I created each page just as I've done with this one.  So if this is something you're interested in seeing please let me know in the comments or on the video comments.


As always today's video will also include lot of tips and tricks I've stumbled upon while making minis, why I do what I do, and a host of other tidbits.  Of course there will be many more still photos as well.  So come join me on today's video and be sure and stop by Cut at Home and check out all the fabulous things they have in their store. Linked at the bottom of the post are the items I used today.


Measurements for this page:

Solid black mats 6 1/4" x 8 1/4" (I cut 10 because I know I'll need one for each of my pages the front and back insides will require larger mats) 
Decorative mats 6" x 8"
Top Insert 5 1/4" x 7 1/4" (this is the maximum this insert can be, you might even want to cut it down to 5" x 7")
Side Insert - 5 3/4" x 7 1/2" (again this is the largest you'll want it to be to allow for easy in and out access from the side, you might want to cut it down to 5 1/2" x 7 1/4" to allow for even more ease.)
Inserted folder: 10 1/2" x 4 1/4" score in the middle and fold at 5 1/4" to make booklet

NOTE: I suggest using the larger measurements for the inserts, seeing how they fit after you make the pockets, if they don't glide in and out easily re-cut them using the smaller measurement.  Nothing is worse than struggling to slide your inserts into the pocket, better to cut smaller than to be frustrated and hey this is going to be a fun thing so no frustration allowed!!!

Supplies from the store:

HCFA1-432:
 Heartfelt Creations 3D Flip Fold Album
4501228: Graphic 45 Children’s Hour Collection
HCD 727: Heartfelt Creations Vintage Floret dies
HCPC 3500: Heartfelt Creations Open Vintage Floret stamps
SCT-001:  Spellbinders Celebra’tions Linen Thread
SCI-001: Spellbinders Celebra’tions Berry Black Ink
TIM19541: Tim Holtz Distress Ink – Black Soot

Supplies from my stash:
Coredina'tions Black Cat Cardstock 8 1/2" x 11"
American Crafts Black Textured Cardstock 12" x 12"
Decorative brads
Strong double sided tape 1/8", 1/4" 1/2"
Strong wet glue

1 comment:

patsyspiddlings2.blogspot.com said...

Patty, I just love how you use the G45 paper to embellish. No need for added embellishments. Your pages are simple yet very elegant. Just by watching your videos, you have given me so many tips and ideas to use in my mini albums. I am definitely interested in additional tutorials on this new mini. Thank you for your tutorials, they have made me a better mini builder. Patsy