Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Paint Stick Mini Album

At Your Paper Pantry I joined a new swap for January called Stirring up Crafty Goodness.  The idea being to go to Home Depot and get some one gallon wood paint sticks which measure 1"x12" and embellish them with red and purple (this month's swap colors).  Kind of like the colors the Red Hatters use. 


So that prompted me to use a digi kit Beth Rimmer just created called Call of the Wild, it's at Deviant Scrap if you want to take a look.  Beth had created these cool embellies, like the mannequin lady left (although I chopped off her digi feathers and gave her real red Marabou feathers I found at Michaels.  I also took the liberty, per Beth's ok, to change her dress to purple stripe from the original black.)
If you're handy with your computer and a graphics program (I used Photo Shop here) then don't overlook the vast opportunities that await you in digital kits.  The possibilities just grow and grow with what you can make. I covered the lady pretty heavily with Glossy Accents (works great but you must allow overnight drying time)

I added a rose (I think they are from I Am Roses, it was a RAK so not positive) to the top of the stick with Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.  I really love this stuff and so far have only found it locally at JoAnns.With the addition of the tulle and some bling that set the top.
The birds are also digi's from Beth's kit, I loved the bird and roller skates, and the red hat one!  So perfect for this theme.  Again covered extra heavy in Glossy Accents.  The paper was sprayed with Tattered Angels Cranberry and Lindy Stamp Gang Desert Moon Antique Rose.
The tag at the top says Birds of a Feather, I printed it on the computer then misted it.  It really blurred the wording but after looking at it for a bit decided I kinda liked that look and left it alone.  You really can't add too much at the top considering this will be punched and you'll bind all six sticks from the swap together when you're done, (check back next month I'll have pics of the completed mini to show you)

I made the journaling/photo tags from DCWV Once Upon a Time collection and folded them and made a clasp with a brad Stampin Up I believe. added a little bling and a paper clip from JoAnns for the top one.
These are mine, six will be sent to the moderator of the Swap Group at YPP who in turn will pair them with five others and return them to me so I'll a whole mini album of six pages when I'm done.  I'll post an updated picture of them all at that time.
The original Home Depot paint stick and one showing how I inked the edges with purple before beginning.
My You Tube video showing these hasn't finished processing yet, I'll add it as soon as it does.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

So creative! And I can't wait to see the final album! Off to your Youtube channel to check it out!

Southern Chic Vintage said...

You did such a great job. I knew this would be a good swap for YPP. Your sticks are so pretty. You really went all out on these. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Tina Lynn