Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Retro Moments

a SaCrafters Guest Design Team Project

This project had been put on hold while we took a short vacation to visit my family but I've been dying to get my hands into it ever since I saw it previewed in Sa's shop!  I LOVE this Retro TV and knew immediately I had to make it for my middle child, Angi. She and her husband Luke would have been perfectly happy living in the 50's!  This past year they had a family photo shoot done at their house all with a retro theme!  Perfect for this project.  So while home I told her I wanted a copy of all the photos so I could play with them!  This is the result - 


Seldom do I have the pleasure of playing with photos and actually finishing up and album I've made.  This was super fun for me. I hope you'll enjoy following along.


I moved outside on the patio to paint the inside and out of the tv after I'd glued it together. I used a black Krylon paint for the outside and Martha Stewarts acrylic in red for the inside.  I wasn't happy with the black, I'd use something else next time.


Next step was to Mod Podge the box, inside and out and then adhere my paper and cut outs (from Crafty Secrets).  See I really am a 'messy Marvin' when I craft :-)


I die cut from the papers I'd be using to make flowers, at this point I wasn't sure whether they'd be going on the box or the mini but I knew I'd use them somewhere, I've moved to the living room so I can watch tv and make my flowers at the same time.


I found that if I used my magnetic mat and ruler I could line up the chipboard across the bottom to create a straight end as I put the cardstock to the chipboard.


Last step before the fun stuff was to add several coats of Collage Podge (from Aleene's) to the outside of the cover.  This is the first time I've done it before folding to the inside and gluing down.  It worked great and anytime you can accomplish something with the paper lying flat it's a lot easier!


Since I wanted the box to retain it's 'TV' look I shied away from too much bling and left the flowers for the book.  The 50's look always had pearls and I'm sorry how can you make a project with out stickles??????


This sentiment arrow from Sa's store was perfect.  I painted it red, masked off on both sides of the arrow with some washi tape and then painted the arrow black.


A couple of fussy cut aprons from Crafty Secrets, a wooden message and flatback pearls from Sa's store and the back is done!


These Retro people and sayings were just too cute, I had to add a couple to the inside of the top of the box!


And here's the mini front, I added the key and the date (thank you Bunny Bow) and the Heart that says Made With Love (thank you Kathie) on a Tim Holtz chain, tucked in an oval framed photo and used my flowers I'd made earlier to adorn the front cover.


The mini measures 5" x 7" outside dimensions so some spots can house 4' x 6" photos. There are seven pages and each has a side pocket with a mat that tucks in.  I'm sure I could get every photo from their shoot in this little book!


To add interest and appeal I fussy cut the shapes of several of the photos, this one creates a pocket to put photos behind.


So this is my Retro TV filled with a book of memories.  Such a super fun project to make, thank you Sa for allowing me to play with your fun products.  Please check out Sa's store today and come join me on the video for a more in depth view of TV and mini.

Please visit Sa Crafters
Store -  www.sacrafters.com
YouTube -  https://www.youtube.com/user/SaCrafters
Blog -  http://sacrafters.blogspot.com/
Facebook -   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sa-crafters



In addition to these products I also used Krylon Black spray paint, black cardstock and chipboard, Mod Retro and Lady Coutour Papers from DCWV, Martha Stewarts acrylic paint in red and cut outs from Crafty Secrets.



No comments: