Thursday, January 9, 2014

Blessing Box

a Cut at Home Design Team Project

Several years ago I ripped a little photo and blurp from a magazine about a smile box.  The purpose was to put this little decorated box on your table and family members would add notes throughout the year about things that happened that made them smile.  At the end of the year you removed all the notes, sat around the table and took turns reading them.  I've always liked that idea and tucked it away in that crafty part of your brain that says 'things to make', you know the one that keeps overflowing with ideas!! 


I decided now was the time to make my little box, I call it my Blessing Box and the theme is the same as the Smile box, when you have a happy moment jot it down on one of the included papers and return it to the box.  My theory is you should seek out everyday moments that make you smile, make your heart sing and make you want to skip a step or two.  NOT wait for those momentous Earth shattering events, I don't know about you but those events are far and few between in my life but I have a lot of everyday smile moments that I wouldn't mind reliving when I need a little boost in my life.


My box was created with Heartfelt Creations Floral Key Collection.  I think I say it each and every time this company releases a new line, I'm in love.  Their papers are exquisite, beautifully illustrated and a wonderful paper weight to work with.  I fussy cut and popped up the corner spray of flowers and then used Glossy Accents over top.  I also added a metal key and corner filigree embellishment to bring it to that 3D look.

The base of the box is a wooden cigarillo box someone had RAK'd me with several years ago and it's sat quietly in my 'to be altered' drawer.


The bottom and sides inside the box are covered with strips from the paper and inked with Walnut Stain distress ink.  I also fussy cut a heart from the paper, inked the edges, popped it up on a layer of heavy cardstock, added a pearl to the bottom and some Wink of Stella glitter to the edges.  Hemp tied with an attached key charm are my papers for the 'moment notes' which lie in the bottom of the box.  On these papers I coffee stained, inked, distressed and ended with a spritz of Lindy's Steampunk Sepia Starbust spray to give that oldy worldy feel.  I also tucked under the cord my personal note on what the box is and how to use it.  You're more than welcome to use this for your own box as well, click here to copy.



I hope you'll consider making your own blessing box if not for yourself it would make a wonderful gift for family or friend.  Enjoy the video to glean more ideas and see start to finish of creating the altered box.



Supplies:


3 comments:

scraps2relax said...

This is beautiful and heart touching. I would love
a copy of your your blessing box saying please.

scraps2relax said...

This is beautiful and heart touching. I would love
a copy of your your blessing box saying please.

Carol said...

Love it, Patti. Great idea.