Friday, January 24, 2014

Lacy Heart Topper



If you'll remember a couple of weeks ago I shared with you my first Design Team Package from The Piece by Piece and today I'm sharing my project created with Beverly's gorgeous collection of lace, bits and bobs.



I started with a flip top box I'd purchased from JoAnns.  It measures about 6 inches square.  I covered it all with an old K&CO paper line from Tim Coffey called Cottage Garden inking all the edges thoroughly with Forest Moss distress ink from Tim Holtz.  Next came the fun part, designing the stuffed heart to go atop the box.

Maya Road's Linen Heart was to be the main focus with French Cotton Crochet lace in Mocha and Cream sewed along the edge on the back and the cream French Vensie lace to the front covering the stitching lines that come on the heart.   


Using the cream Angle Trim (yes you can laugh at the video I call it Angel Trim, I transposed the letters, but really it could be called that it's absolutely Heavenly!!) I gathered a piece into a circle and put the honey Flower Gem through the middle cutting off the excess.  (save the part you cut off, I'll tell you why in the video).  Everything is glued in place using Beacon's Fabri-Tac (thank you Corene from Corene's Creations, she shoved me in this fabulous glues direction when I was trying to adhere some lace to a mini a while back).  This glue is amazing, tacky - gooey - get all over yourself sticky - but amazing.  After it dries it's like cement, nothing is going to move!!  I also stuck in a couple of leaves snipped from the Venise Leaf Trim, I used the white, I debated whether I should tea dye them but the white isn't stark and I think blends nicely with the creams.


As I'm putting the heart together I'm thinking I wish I had some batting that would add some padding under the heart so I went hunting to see what was in the cupboards and ran across an old terry washcloth.  I used the heart as a pattern and cut two from the cloth, one I cut about 1/4" smaller so I could stack them.  Again using the Fabri-Tac I glued all the pieces one to the other and then glued them to the top of the box.  

That's it, check out the video below for more photos and 
ideas on how to use this heart other than a box topper.


Stay connected with The Piece by Piece:
Like us on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/n2ru3kb
Shop our Etsy store:https://www.etsy.com/shop/thepiecebypiece
Visit our Blog: http://thepiecebypiece.blogspot.com

Have fun crafting!!  I hope you'll become a follower and leave a comment, they are most welcome and always appreciated!!

Patti






No comments: