Monday, August 25, 2014

Lace and Lovely - an Altered Notebook

The Piece by Piece Design Team Project

Being on the Design Team for The Piece by Piece is like a little slice of heaven.  I get to play with the most gorgeous laces, trims and embellishments.  Recently I was in JoAnn Fabrics and ran across the end of the season aisle and spotted this notepad.  What drew my attention was the cover was fabric and inside housed a wonderful notepad of Kraft paper, I'm very partial to Kraft.  So I picked it up uncertain when or how I'd use it, just sure that I would.  What I'm sharing today is the transformation of this little notepad into something Lacy and Lovely.

I covered the complete notebook, minus the paper pad and ties, with Gesso, dried it and sprayed liberally with Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst in Love at First Sight Lavendar.  Next came the fun part figuring out which laces, trims and goodies from The Piece by Piece I wanted to add.  I chose a beautiful Venise lace that measures 5.25" wide for the front of the book letting it hand below the edge on the bottom and pulling in to the inside on the top.  What could be prettier?


Where the two sections of lace met in the middle I added a pale lavender silk ribbon under the lace edges extending it on the right side to tie the book shut.  Using the little flower trim I covered up the open edges.  The book had been tied with a hemp type string which definitely didn't fit now and the perfect choice was to add a second silk ribbon in cream.  I added a couple of candy gem sprays and a dragonfly atop the ribbon bow.  Not wanting large bows on both sides I pulled the knot to the bottom edge, wound the tail of the ribbon around the upper several times hiding the ends of the candy gems.


The main focal point of the front is the cascading candy gems and wheat sprays that tumble from behind this gorgeous resin flower in purple.  Perched on top is the mate to the other dragonfly.


Inside on the back of the front as I said I pulled the top edge of the lace to the inside and glued it in place.  I took a strip of the baby mum lace and cut each flower apart and glued them between the points of the lace.  Using one of Bev's lace frames I created the perfect spot for an extra special photo and of course I added another dragonfly. Under the lace frame I added a piece of acrylic from some discarded packaging, now the photo will slip easily behind and be protected on the front.


The back inside cover houses one lone butterfly (they are called moths in the store but I refuse to  have a moth in my book so I'm bumping him up to butterfly status!)  When I glued the butterfly down I pushed him gently inward to create a little pocket at the top to slip a note or another photo or two into.


The back is a repeat of the font laces with the addition of a carved lace heart from the store which I sprayed gently with the same Lindy's Starburst.  You can't see it here but there is a metal piece on the spine which I changed the color up a bit with Adirondac Alcohol Ink in Eggplant.

If you'd like to see the complete (fast forwarded version) of the designing process please watch the video below, I'll also have a walk through of the completed notebook and additional still photos.



About The Piece by Piece
The Piece by Piece is an art and craft supply store that initially started on Etsy, but has grown and now also exists as a brick & mortar establishment in the Niles district of Fremont, California.  Beverly Ybarra, store owner sources her unique laces, trims and ribbons from all over the world, including France, one of her favorite supply sources. Some of Beverly's favorite local suppliers include Graphic 45 and Prima, so you are sure to find their products on the shelves at TPBP.  For those close to TPBP store in Fremont, each week there is a full list of classes to choose from. 

Shop and Stay in Touch with The Piece by Piece
Shop online at Etsy 
Shop in Fremont, CA:  37485 Niles Blvd, Fremont CA
Phone:  510 894-2488
Email:  thepiecebypiece@gmail.com
Sign-up for our newsletter:  Email
Follow The Piece by Piece on Facebook  
You can find a Complete Class list here

No comments: